27 Jun 2011 SQL Excursions Sessions – SQL Server Memory Management
Continuing from yesterday’s post, today I will spend some time talking about another one of the sessions that I will be presenting at SQL Excursions in Napa. Out of the five sessions I will be presenting over the two days in Napa two of them are sessions that were also accepted for the upcoming PASS Summit. In other words, you are getting the material the SQL Community has already said they want to hear more about, and you get this material in a more intimate form. And before I forget, I want to remind you that Denny Cherry (blog | @mrdenny) will be presenting five topics as well.
Today I will give you an overview of the SQL Server Memory Management session.
Many people have no idea if they are having issues with the configuration of their memory setting until it is too late. And often times at that point they have little idea where to turn next to alleviate the issues. Attend this session and gain a better understanding of how to properly manage the memory settings for your database servers, how to quickly diagnose if you are having memory issues, and what you can do to avoid spending unnecessary money on additional memory.
What this really means:
I am going to help you understand what lots of the little knobs inside of SQL server do when you turn them. We will walk through my “hot sheet” of questions I ask whenever I need to troubleshoot issues related to memory management. The answers to these questions alone will help you solve roughly 80% of your memory issues. And then we’ll look at ways to help you fix the remaining 20% as well.
Three things you will learn:
- The necessary questions you must ask whenever you are troubleshooting memory issues
- How to best configure your server memory configuration settings
- How to best determine which queries are consuming the most memory
It’s like going to camp. We’ll even tell scary stories around a campfire at night.